- September 20, 2019
- Posted by: Certified ProAdvisor
- Category: Knowledge Base
How to install, update, and setup QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
Being a QuickBooks user, you might be a little bit familiar with QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Even if you are a newbie QuickBooks user and have never heard of QuickBooks Database Server Manager, then need not to worry, as at the end of this article, you might be well-versed with this term and the various facts associated with it. A question might arise in the minds of many QuickBooks users, that why they need to be familiar with this term? Well, every QuickBooks user at some or the other point has to install this tool, as without this multi-user access is not possible.
You’ll also like: Use clean up company data utility in QuickBooks
What is QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
Before digging in deep and exploring the facts associated with QBDSM, it is recommended to know what it is all about. Basically, QuickBooks Database server is a tool that permits the QB users to enjoy the multiple version of QuickBooks process. This tool creates the network data files, to get the surety that the user has the current year’s service running as a background application. Not only this, but also this tool creates a network of data file (.ND) for any company file on the host computer.
It should be noted that without the database server manager, it won’t be possible for the QuickBooks users to avail the benefits of the multi-user network in QuickBooks, so the database server manager installation is mandatory. Therefore, we have come up with this article, to discuss the steps involved in installing, updating, and also setting up the QB database server manager.
Steps involved in the Installation process of QuickBooks database server manager
- To install the first step is to open the QuickBooks installer and then start the process.
- Hit OK, if you have a good internet connection, in case your internet connection is not working properly, then select No and tap on Next.
- Close the open programs if any, and then move ahead by clicking on to the Next option.
- Examine the terms and conditions of the Software license agreements. After reading, if you agree to the terms and conditions, then tick mark the box.
- The next step is to choose the Custom or Network Options.
- And then, select the type of installation, as per your requirements.
- Once done with that, pick the Yes option and permit the access option.
- Proceed to the next step by entering the license number and product number.
- Now, to complete the installation process successfully, the user is required to follow the on screen prompts.
- Once the installation process is complete, you are all set to proceed further.
You’ll also like: Uses of QuickBooks Quickbooks install diagnostic tool
Setting up process of QuickBooks Database server manager
The setting up process involves only a few simple steps, which includes the following:
- Firstly, the user is required to open the QuickBooks database server manager, followed by scanning the files and folders that are needed to be configured for multi-user access.
- In the next step, the company files are to be scanned on the server, for the conformity of the files being configured in an appropriate manner, so that the files can be opened on the multi-user set up without any issue.
- If you want to insert new company files to the server, then make use of the Monitored Drives option and you will have the database server manager updated.
- The user is required to ensure that the Company files are properly connected to the server, as well as the user is logged into the company files.
- In case the user wants to alter the status of the service, then for that using the Service Administrative Tool can be the best option.
- The last step in the process of set up is to make use of the Updates feature and also download the most recent updates to the QuickBooks server.
Steps to Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- The first step in the update process is to download the fix from update QuickBooks Desktop to the most recent discharge.
- After that restart the server, after the installation finishes.
- Once the server has been updated on the workstation, then a message will be received by the users stating “Update the company file to make it work with this adaptation of QuickBooks Desktop”.
- The next step is to make a backup; there might be chances that the software will make changes after the update.
- Once the update procedure is completed successfully, the user will be able to open the company file.
Explore the functions of QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Determining the current user log in and also the company file into which the user is logged into.
- Exploring the information associated with the company files in the server is possible with QuickBooks database server manager.
- Keeping a constant record of the service working at that very moment, when the company files are being hosted by the server.
- Managing updates in the Update section is also one of the crucial functions of QB Database server manager.
How to open QuickBooks database server manager?
To open QuickBooks database server manager, the following steps can be carried out:
- Visit the start menu.
- After that choose Programs.
- And then, tap on QuickBooks, and select the QuickBooks database server manager.
Steps to scan folders features
- Move to the start button and then click on All Programs option, followed by clicking on QuickBooks folder, after that click on QuickBooks database server manager.
- The next step is to click on the scan folders.
- To scan folders: The user is required to verify which folders contain QuickBooks company files. In case the user is unable to find out where the files are, then the user can select to scan the entire disks.
- The next step is to click on the scan button to start with the scan. It should be noted that the display bar will demonstrate the folders that are being scanned.
- Once the user scans these files and folders, the other users can open the files remotely.
The user is required to tap on the add folders option and then choose the folder that the user wish to add. Place this folder under the folder that contains the company file.
The folder can be removed by clicking on the folders containing the QuickBooks company file, followed by selecting the remove folder option.
After that, the user is required to tap on the scan folders listed under the folders that contain the QB company files. Moving ahead, when the scanning process comes to an end, the user will witness the list of company file on that folder.
- First of all, open the Start menu.
- Then, click on the Programs option
- Followed by clicking on the QuickBooks icon, and then choose the QuickBooks database server manager.
- Move ahead by selecting the system option.
- And then the user will be able to review the system information. And the user can also find out the location of the database server.
Monitored your drives feature
The user can make use of the monitored drives features, in order to keep the QuickBooks database server manager updated, at the time when the user adds the new company files to the server.
- Move to the Start button, followed by clicking on Program option, and then select QuickBooks and QuickBooks database manager respectively.
- The next step is to click on the Monitored drives tab.
- In order to add, remove, or rename all the local drives that you wish to monitor for the company files, and then click on the select option.
- To update QuickBooks server and view the version of the QuickBooks server, the user is required to visit the start button, followed by clicking on the program and then click on the QuickBooks icon and QuickBooks database manager respectively.
- The next step is to tap on updates.
- The user is then required to follow the prompts for installing the updates.
Database server features
The user is required to open QB Database Server Manager, in order to find out:
- The list of the users that are logged into each company file and also the company files that are connected to the server.
- The QuickBooks database server services are represented by the status. When the server hosts the company files, at that time the services should be running.
- If the user wants to make a change in the status of the services, then in such cases the Services Administrative tool can be used to configure the service QuickBooksDBXX.
This brings us to the end of this informative article. The motive to share this article was to guide the QuickBooks users with the steps to be followed to Install, update, and set up the QuickBooks database server manager.
In case you have any doubts in any of the steps or procedures, you can discuss your issue with the QuickBooks support team. All you need to do is dial our toll-free number +1-800-969-7370, and our team of highly skilled QuickBooks data recovery support professionals will guide you the way out of the issue in no time. Thus, do not hesitate to reach out to us and discuss your queries!
You might also like: